- Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces. An undead creature has the following features.
- D8 Hit Die.
- Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total HD.
- Good Will saves.
- Skill points equal to 4 + Int modifier (minimum 1) per Hit Die. Many undead, however, are mindless and gain no skill points or feats. The following are class skills for undead: Climb, Disguise, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Perception, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Stealth.
Traits: An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless noted otherwise in a creature's entry).
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Immunity to bleed, death effects, disease, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
- Not subject to ability damage or ability drain to physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), fatigue, exhaustion, energy drain, or nonlethal damage.
- Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score. Undead cannot possess the regeneration ability.
- Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
- Undead automatically succeed on Constitution checks made to stabilize. Mindless undead are destroyed at 0 hit points. Undead with less than 1 hit point gain the Broken condition and suffer a -2 penalty to all attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, saving throws, armor class, and saving throw DCs for their abilities.
- Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection turn an undead creature that has been destroyed back into the living creature they were before becoming undead.
- An undead that has been destroyed can be reanimated in its undead form through a special ritual requiring animate dead, create undead, or create greater undead and costly material components costing 500 gp per HD of the undead to be reanimated.
- Proficient with its natural weapons. Mindless undead capable of wielding weapons are automatically proficient with any weapons they wield.
- Mindless undead are proficient in any armor worn regardless of type (light, medium, or heavy).
- Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
Notes: Existing undead in bestiaries have a Constitution score equal to their Charisma scores.
page revision: 1, last edited: 17 May 2016 08:43